Definitions of “Abbess”If the answer you seek is not in the answers above these definitions may help solving your crossword puzzle.
• Mother superior the superior of a group of nuns
• A female superior or governess of a nunnery, or convent of nuns
• An abbess (Latin abbatissa, feminine form of abbas
• Abbess was 16th to 19th century slang for the mistress of a brothel
• An Abbess is the female superior of a community of nuns in certain religious orders
• The title of a superior of certain communities of nuns following the Benedictine Rule
• Female superior of a nunnery (usually Benedictine) which has canonical status as an abbey